Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Question for Hillary supporters

I have a question that I would like to ask Hillary supporters. First of all, to reiterate: I respect Hillary for a number of reasons. She's smart, she's competent, she's compassionate, I think she would be a much better President than any Republican. I'm starting to have doubts about her integrity, but I still think she's basically a good person.

I have heard that many people support her because she's "tough," and she would be a strong defender of Democratic values against Republicans. So, this argument goes, against Republicans, she would put up a good fight, and she would, presumably, win.

But here's the question: she started this race, for the Democratic nomination, with every possible advantage. And yet she is losing to Barack Obama. If she can't beat a one-term Senator in her own party, despite having a former President campaigning for her, and with a head start in superdelegates and fundraising, why do you think she'll be able to take on Republicans?

No comments: