Saturday, April 19, 2008

USC film school in the NY Times

There's one group of college students who have a unique perspective on guns and school: film school students. People in film school occasionally make movies about people with guns. That creates some interesting situations. What if you're filming somebody running down a dark alley holding a gun, a bystander walks by, doesn't realize it's a film set, and calls the cops? That's not a hypothetical for me - it has happened to me. It wasn't on a student film, it was an independent film (VERY independent), but the cops were called. We were warned to skedaddle, which we did. I wasn't producing or directing - I was basically the only crew member besides the director, who was shooting everything on a video camera, so I was gaffer, if that. The director had graduated from USC film school, but apparently hadn't learned the right lessons. Eventually he did.

This is relevant because this week there was an Op-Ed piece in the NY Times by a student at School of Cinematic Arts of the University Southern California, where I learned a few things, had some adventures, and made some great friends.

The topic of the Op-Ed is trying to find the balance between safety and freedom, which is a complicated, difficult topic that I don't want to address right now. I'm just thrilled that a really good guy that I know, Joe Wallenstein, got a mention on the Op-Ed page of The New York Times. Good for him.

No comments: