Thursday, April 17, 2008

No debate for me! Sounds like that was a good thing

I didn't watch the debate last night, but I've been following the reactions online. Or perhaps I should say I've been following the outpouring of vitriol directed at Charles Gibson, George Stephanopoulos and ABC News. Wow. Sounds like this was a real low point for television journalism. As of 2:45 PM Pacific time, there are 16,671 comments on the ABC News Web site, and pretty much all of them are slamming ABC for a disgraceful night of asking questions.

I admit that I like talking about the trivial issues, like whether or not Hillary lied about Tuzla, etc., but the point of these debates is supposed to be that they force us to break away from the gossip and trivialities and give us an opportunity to focus on the issues. I thot that was the point of debates. Honestly, asking whether or not Jeremiah Wright loves America? That sounds like a very inappropriate question for a journalist to be asking. First of all, it's pure opinion, and second, what right does a journalist have to question ANYONE'S patriotism, let alone that of a former Marine?

Most unfortunately, the "issue" for today is this debate itself. I just want to point out that the LA Times, to its credit, led this morning's issue with an article about the Supreme Court's decision upholding lethal injection as a method for execution. How bizarre that I'm happy that the main story is something I disagree with, but I'm just thrilled that it's a story about a substantive issue

No comments: