Friday, April 11, 2008

Clinton-Penn: Dysfunctionality endures

Via TPM, we learn that Change To Win, the innovative and creative progressive labor coalition, is demanding that Hillary Clinton fire Mark Penn, the least popular staff member of any current presidential campaign. Why are they demanding this? Apart from the fact that they are a group of unions, and Penn has a reputation as a union buster? Apart from the fact that they are backing Obama, and this is just manna from heaven for Obama? Apart from all that, they are demanding this because SOMEBODY HAS TO. And I already did, but I don't have millions of members backing me up.

I can't believe I am writing this at this point. It's turning into Bush-Rumsfeld - she's refusing to fire a wildly unpopular staffer whose presence has become a lightning rod. I'm not the first person to make that comparison. Paul Begala made it, according to HuffPost. In public. Just how dysfunctional can all this get? Does Hillary actually enjoy this? Does she have some masochist streak that we don't know about?

No comments: