Friday, April 11, 2008

Yahoo and AOL - oil and water?

From Silicon Alley Insider (for those unfamiliar with East Coast technology neighborhoods, Silicon Alley is the New York version of Silicon Valley), news that people are Yahoo are not interested in merging with AOL.

“Look, Microsoft would not be my first choice [as a merger partner] either. But AOL is not even my third.”

No kidding. I can't begin to imagine why that would be a good idea. I'm not thrilled with Yahoo merging with Microsoft, but at least it's a company with its act together. Let's see, the last time a large company merged with AOL, it turned into one of the worst deals in the history of corporate America. Not a precedent I find inspiring.

Yahoo should concentrate on getting its act together. Yahoo Mail is slow and buggy. I think the mistake that Yahoo made was trying to become a media company, and forgetting that it should first and foremost be a technology company. That's something that Google has not forgotten.

No comments: