Tuesday, April 8, 2008

1-800-AUTOPSY

Something of a macabre post today, from the LA Times. 1-800-AUTOPSY is a rather unusual business, and one that you really hope you don't have to call. It's just what it sounds like, a business that performs autopsies for people who want to know how someone died and don't necessarily want the police to be doing the work. There is, of course, a Web site: 1800AUTOPSY.com.

I'm publishing this not because I am recommending this as a service, but as a bit of a walk down nostalgia lane for me. Not because I have ever had to use their services, but because I once worked on a student film that was shot there. It was called Antebody, and I was the First Assistant Director. One of several First AD's, according to IMDB. Normally I produced student movies, but somehow I got roped into being First AD. Also, unbeknownst to me until just now, when I checked this out, I am also credited with "Props" and "Set Construction." That may very well be the first and only time I earn those credits. I think I have a "Props" credit because I changed the tire on a car.

It's a good movie, about a dead body (hence the use of a morgue). It wasn't a working morgue or autopsy operating room when we shot there. It hadn't been licensed yet, so it was just set up to be a place where autopsies had been performed. Which, honestly, I think made it easier for all concerned to actually shoot a movie there. Particularly since we shot at night. The "body" was anatomically correct, and was named "Bob."

Film school: it's not just an education, it's an adventure.

No comments: