Friday, April 4, 2008

FT Weekend #2: Rock Stars and Chaos

In last weekend's FT: An interview with Patti Smith about an exhibit of her visual art work at the Foundation Cartier in Paris. That sounds interesting. If you're in Paris, check it out and let me know. Michael Stipe, promoting REM's latest album, Accelerator, thinks that "You’re only as big as your battles." Not sure I agree with that, but it's something to consider. I'm not sure I want to define myself in terms of who I am opposed to. The man is a master of good quotes, as befits a writer, which I wrote about earlier. More evidence that it's a good album - apparently they are experiencing something of a comeback. And in an interview, George Clooney says that he thinks Obama is going to be president. On this he agrees with Smith and Stipe. No surprise.

Susie Boyt has a wonderful column about finding inspiration for cooking in classic literature. That's a great idea. So much potential there. Almost too bad she had to limit herself to one column. Harry Eyres writes about Itzhak Perlman. Lunch with the FT is with Nassim Nicholas Taleb, a writer who takes on the subjects of risk, unpredictable events, and the limits of forecasting. His point apparently is that we underestimate risk if we discount the limits of our knowledge, because we are unable to deal with massive, sudden change. I buy that. I am going to have to keep this guy on my radar.

No comments: