Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Women from the stars, on bikes, in the mountains

Susan Carpenter, my favorite motorcycle reviewer (OK, the only one that I know of), is one of the few people that I read on a consistent basis, despite the fact that I basically have no interest in the subject matter that she writes about. Well, no immediate personal interest. I think motorcycles are cool, as most people do, but I haven't ridden one since I was in high school, running around a friend's northern Michigan acreage on some kind of Honda or Yahama or something. I also like the fact that the LA Times has a woman writing about motorcycles, partially because that makes the LA Times at least a little bit more interesting than almost every other newspaper in the country. If Sam Zell fires her, I will be out for his head.

Today, she doesn't review a cycle per se. She has one column about why two-wheeled vehicles are actually worse for the environment, in some respects, than four-wheeled ones. Something about catalytic converters being too big to be able to fit onto cycles. That's a bummer. But not particularly relevant to me.

Slightly more relevant, but definitely more interesting, she videotaped an interview with two women from Battlestar Galactica about being women motorcycle riders. Gotta love this: women on motorcycles, in the mountains. I would make a crack about two great views in one, but that would be sexist! So I won't.

I would love to be able to share the video with you, but I'm having technical problems embedding it on this blog, so I'll just point you to the video on latimes.com.

I think I missed something by not watching this show.

No comments: