Saturday, June 7, 2008

More props for Hillary

Gail Collins has a good take on Hillary in today's column. She drops her usual gently sarcastic tone, which I love, and writes it straight. Which, this time around, I also love.

This is one of the things you have to admire about Hillary Clinton. She still enjoys the work.
Yes she does, and that is something I admire about her. I think I've only seen Hillary in person once. It was in DC, in some kind of office building, and she was on her way to some official event. I remember she walked down the hallway, surrounded by aides, as if she were in total control. Which she was.

By the end of those 54 primaries and caucuses, Hillary had made a woman running for president seem normal.
Which is one hell of an accomplishment.

Her campaign was messy, and it made some fatal tactical errors. But nobody who sent her a donation could accuse her of not giving them their money’s worth.
This was clearly money very well-spent. I might donate to her campaign.

For all her vaunting ambition, she was never a candidate who ran for president just because it’s the presidency. She thought about winning in terms of the things she could accomplish, and she never forgot the women’s issues she had championed all her life — repair of the social safety net, children’s rights, support for working mothers.

It’s not the same as winning the White House. But it’s a lot.
It's huge.

I haven't watched Hillary's concession speech, because I'm at work today, and I think I might cry.

No comments: