Saturday, June 7, 2008

Hillary Clinton's great legacy

Marie Wilson writes a paean to the legacy of Hillary's run for the presidency in the WaPo. She runs something called the White House Project, which "aims to advance women's leadership." She's very optimistic about the impact that Hillary has had, both on America in general and women in particular. Hillary has changed the game, she argues, and inspired many, many women to reach higher, and to do it faster. I completely agree, and I find myself getting choked up at the idea. I've had some serious disagreements with Hillary (and Bill), over political strategy and execution; I have been and probably always will be disappointed with how she ran some parts of her campaign. But I'm very glad that she did run, and damn did she give it her all.

Wilson's piece is chock full of great lines, but the last paragraph puts it best:
This race does not end with Hillary Clinton's campaign. By helping to fill the pipeline with a critical mass of diverse, well-equipped women, Clinton's candidacy has changed everything about the future of leadership in this country. And that is a legacy of which she -- and our nation -- should be proud.

I concur wholeheartedly.

No comments: