Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Hilary Rosen on Hillary Clinton

Hilary Rosen has an excellent post at HuffPost today about Hillary Clinton's non-concession speech last night:

Senator Clinton's speech last night was a justifiably proud recitation of her accomplishments over the course of this campaign, but it did not end right. She didn't do what she should have done. As hard and as painful as it might have been, she should have conceded, congratulated, endorsed and committed to Barack Obama. Therefore the next 48 hours are now as important to the future reputation of Hillary Clinton as the last year and a half have been.

I am disappointed. As a long time Hillary Clinton supporter and more importantly, an admirer, I am sad that this historic effort has ended with such a narrow loss for her. There will be the appropriate "if onlys" for a long time to come.

. . .

I will enthusiastically support Barack Obama's campaign. Because I am not a bargaining chip. I am a Democrat.


So the healing has begun. There are many "thank you's" in the comments thread, and I would like to add mine here. Thank you, Ms. Rosen, for putting the interests of the Democratic Party and the country as a whole ahead of your own personal political interests.

I can understand why Hillary Clinton supporters were so enthusiastic for her. I think I can understand some of their disappointment. It was inspiring to see the first woman running for president with a serious shot at it.

But I also don't think we are going to have to wait too much longer. Assuming Obama wins this year and in 2012, the next chance for a woman will be in 2016. A lot can happen in 8 years. 8 years ago, Barack Obama was an obscure state senator in Illinois. Somewhere out there is a Representative, or a mayor, or some woman with a lot of talent and a lot of drive. I think we will see a woman president sooner than many people think.

No comments: