Monday, March 31, 2008

Baseball on the West Coast!

Today is opening day for baseball. A couple of days ago, the Dodgers and the Red Sox played an exhibition game at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum, one of the most important stadiums in the country. I am somewhat conflicted about this. First of all, it's the Dodgers and the Red Sox, my two least-favorite teams. On the other hand, it's the Coliseum, home of two Olympics (1932 and 1984) and the USC Trojans, and what is good for the Coliseum is good for the Trojans, which is good for me, since I am a Trojans fan. And this was clearly good for the Coliseum: they packed in 115,000 people. For a baseball game! For the Dodgers! They did it because this season is the 50th anniversary of the Dodgers in LA. Fifty years of mediocrity and dashed hopes. I don't like the Dodgers, which is not a popular opinion in LA. But I'm going to be hearing about this 50th anniversary all year. At least it got off to an interesting start. For the record, the Dodgers lost, 7-4.

No comments: