Monday, January 19, 2009

Is it tomorrow yet?

I'm writing this Tuesday night, January 19, 2009. Tomorrow Barack Obama will be inaugurated as the 44th President of the United States. I've been waiting days, weeks, months, years for this. As have millions of people. I feel like I can't wait until tomorrow.

By "tomorrow" I don't mean just in the strict chronological sense of the 24 rotation of the earth on its axis, that will mark another day.

By "tomorrow" I mean in the metaphysical, metaphorical sense of another era. Tomorrow we will be putting the Bush Administration behind us, we will be opening up a new world of possibilities. The end of at least one horrible war. The end of an era of irresponsibility and corruption. The beginnng of renewed faith in the idea of what can happen when Americans believe in their government again. High speed rail? Something approaching universal health care? Better broadband policies? Education reform?

I'm writing this partially to give myself permission to dream.

I can't wait til tomorrow.

No comments: