Thursday, January 15, 2009

16-1: Foreign Relations Committee backs Clinton

Hillary Clinton's nomination to be Secretary of State sailed through the Senate Foreign Relations Committee by a vote of 16-1. Great news for Hillary.

I'm very happy for her and for us. I caught a few seconds of her testimony on CNN, and it was a little exciting. It was nice to be reminded that she's one of the smartest people in Washington. I was about to write that she is one of the smartest women, but changed that to read that she is one of the smartest people, not just one of the smartest women. I feel like I can relax just a little bit. We are one step closer to the Obama administration; one step closer to regaining our moral status in the world; one step closer to solving so many problems that we know can be solved.

It's also worth noting that the Hillary is the fourth consecutive non-white male Secretary of State (Albright, Powell and Rice were her predecessors). Anybody remember Warren Christopher? He's the last white male to be Secretary of State.

I'm looking forward to the next white guy who is nominated to be Secretary of State making jokes about being representing diversity.

No comments: