Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Bailing out the Big Three: the video

My mom sent me a YouTube about the effects of the Big Three going under. I wrote about this yesterday, but didn't have much in the way of facts and figures. This video supplies that. I'm normally skeptical of numbers that induce fear the way these do, but I don't think there is much exaggeration going on here - GM is, in fact, one of the largest companies in the world. Any bankruptcy is disruptive. A GM bankruptcy would be massively disruptive. All three going down would be catastrophic.

One note: the video mentions the national security implications of the Big Three going down. This is a tactic that I am normally VERY opposed to - I've seen the "national security" card used enough times in political debates that I normally dismiss it out of hand. But, again, I have to admit there is a point here. I don't like military spending; I would cut the Pentagon's budget with a meat cleaver if I could. But sometimes wars have to be fought, and sometimes that requires heavy machinery. I had a temp job once at AM General, the company that originally made the Hummers (they sold the civilian version to GM). I worked on the technical manual, so I know something about the technology that made the original Hummers. It's a pretty damn impressive piece of machinery. Or it was.

The Website is http://gmfactsandfiction.com/. Here's the video.


No comments: