Thursday, May 15, 2008

College Democrats endorse Obama!

The College Democrats of America have endorsed Barack Obama for president. This is not even remotely surprising, given that most young people are voting for Obama. Normally I wouldn't post about one endorsement, but I like this particular announcement because the President of the College Democrats, Lauren Wolfe, who is a delegate, is from Royal Oak, Michigan, where I lived for about a year. It's not a big place, but it's very cool, and quite hip. One memory of Royal Oak that I have is walking past an independent record store and seeing an unusual album cover plastered all over the window. It was a picture of a naked baby swimming, and reaching for a dollar bill. I remember thinking, "Hmmm, must be some hot new album from a band that I've never heard of." Of course, it was Nevermind, by Nirvana, and went on to sell 10 million albums.

But I digress. I'm pretty sure that record store is long gone, but I learned a good lesson there about noticing details and the importance paying attention to certain key cultural signifiers, like the windows of independent record stores. I think they even sold the album on vinyl.

But I digress again. So that is Royal Oak, Michigan, where Lauren Wolfe is from. Of course, since she's from Michigan, it's questionable whether or not she will be able to vote, since it's not clear whether or not the Michigan delegation will be seated.

My guess is that they will be. Somehow or other, they will be part of the party for the Party. Everyone will be having a good time in Denver, including the people from the insular peninsula states.

No comments: