Monday, July 14, 2008

Obama on the cover of The New Yorker

The New Yorker has a cartoon illustration of Barack and Michelle Obama on its cover for this issue. Here it is:



Of course, there's a raging debate about whether or not this is offensive. I come down strongly on the side of "Yes." I like to think that I have a good sense of humor when it comes to my own political idols and ideals, but this is absurd. First, there's simply nothing funny about it. The question of whether or not Barack Obama is a Muslim is a very serious one - there are lots of people who actually believe it, and are going to vote against him because of it.

The best political cartoons poke fun at some kind of hypocrisy or stupid idea/policy/quote associated with a politician. But this doesn't take aim at any actual policy or belief of either Barack or Michelle.

I've subscribed to The New Yorker in the past. There's an envelope on my desk with a subscription offer from it on my desk. It's going the same place as the rest of my junk mail.

For any conservatives who think liberals are being thin-skinned, turn it around. Suppose it were John McCain dressed in white robes as a member of the KKK, standing in front of a burning cross. Would that be funny?

No comments: