Monday, July 21, 2008

Hubble Kaleidoscope

From the Onion, we learn about the Hubble Kaleidoscope. That's totally freaky. A kaleidoscope in space! What will they think of next.

I worked in a toy store in Washington, DC, once, that sold kaleidoscopes. Not the $3 kind with a cardboard tube - ours were made of wood or metal, were very elaborate, and could cost hundreds of dollars. The best were works of art. I learned a lot about kaleidoscopes working there. The owners had another store just for kaleidoscopes, "Stardust by the Red Balloon," in Tyson's Corner, but as far as I can tell, it's gone ("The Red Balloon" was the name of the toy store). One thing I learned is that there are people who collect kaleidoscopes. It can be an expensive hobby - the coolest one I heard of was huge, had its own beautiful wooden stand, and cost $19,000.

So it's great that NASA has put a kaleidoscope in space! I wonder if anyone has downloaded all of the images from the Hubble Kaleidoscope and watched a slideshow of them while listening to Pink Floyd's "Dark Side Of The Moon." That would probably be really cool. Or maybe you could do that while listening to a Grateful Dead tape. I bet that would be pretty wind-blowing as well.

No comments: