Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Becerra as Trade Rep? Just say no, Xavier

I just got wind of a rumor that Xavier Becerra has been offered the job of U.S. Trade Representative. I have a personal interest in this: Becerra is my Representative in Congress.

I don't think he should take it. He's a very good Representative, and he's a rising star in Congress. I agree with this Democrat strategist, quoted in Roll Call:

“He has 16 years of seniority and is still a relatively young man just elected to leadership. He could be Majority Leader or chairman of the Ways and Means Committee someday.”
He was previously Assistant to the Speaker (a position which was supposedly created just for him), and he was just elected Vice Chair of the Democratic caucus, the fifth-ranking Democrat. He strikes as a consummate professional. I would seriously miss him as my Representative in Congress. I've actually thot about what would happen if I moved out of this district - if I couldn't vote for him, I would probably make a campaign donation, because I would like to see him stay in Congress.

One reason I like him is that his Website is great. It's one of the best in Congress. Seriously. He actually won an award for having one of the best Websites in Congress.

I'm sure he would be great as Trade Rep, but I also think he would be great in the House for the next 20 or 30 years. He has an excellent shot at being the first Hispanic Speaker. Trade Rep is a Cabinet-level post, but being Speaker of the House is a historic position.

No comments: