Wednesday, March 18, 2009

One job I do not want

The one job I would really hate to have right now, even though I am sure it pays very well, is head of marketing at AIG. Really, really happy I don't work in that department today. Just thrilled about that. AIG has spent decades building a reputation as a responsible, sober insurance company. Insurance companies are supposed to be good at evaluating risk. In just a few months they've become a symbol of risk management gone spectacularly bad, and then in just a couple of days they have become a symbol of unchecked greed. Millions of people who had never heard of AIG now associate it with the worst of the crisis.

It's almost too bad AIG isn't paying bonuses right now, because people in the marketing dept. there deserve combat pay just for showing up to work. I'm sure they didn't get AIG into this trouble, but they're sure paying the price.

No comments: