Monday, March 9, 2009

Barbie Turns 50

Barbie turned 50 today. Which is amazing, if you think about it, because she doesn't look a day over 23. I read one article about it, an Op-Ed piece in the LA Times. I read it because it was staring at me as I was eating dinner. Although, I have to admit, I have been aware of Barbie's impending anniversary for a while. I'm not sure if I have ever actually touched a Barbie. Pretty sure I've never held a Ken doll in my hands. I am quite sure that I never wanted to be Ken, or, in fact, to have anything whatsoever to do with him. I think I've spent more time thinking about Ken just now than I have in the rest of my life.

I have heard a lot of criticism of Barbie over the years - mostly that she has an unrealistic figure, and that little girls develop unhealthy body images because of her. I never really understood this. Of course she's unrealistic - she's a doll. When I was a little boy, I wanted to be an astronaut and a fireman. I survived my youthful delusions. Well, those youthful delusions, anyways. Like boys only have down-to-earth role models. Um, no. Can you say "James Bond?"

This is an excellent excuse to post Aqua's video of "Barbie Girl." It's a classic.

No comments: