Friday, February 1, 2008

Reaction to the debate

I was at the debate last night, watching from outside the Kodak Theater. There was a rally outside, in the central courtyard of Hollywood and Highland (the mall where the Kodak is located).

There were Obama and Hillary people. I'm obviously biased, but I thot there were a lot more Obama people than Hillary people. It really felt like a movement, which was great. And there was one lonely woman with an Edwards sign. She had painted on it, "Thank You." I'm glad Edwards ran, I think he raised some great issues.

I have to say that I think Hillary did very well. She didn't come across as cold or calculating. I remembered why I was a Clinton fan way back when. When all is said and done, I am very glad that she is running. One thing that has been refreshingly absent from the campaign is any question of whether or not she is capable of actually doing the job of President. No one has questioned whether or not a woman can be President. For me, there's no question that she could handle the job. She's one of those rare people who is competent as she is smart, and compassionate.

Her problem, unfortunately, is that Barack Obama is one of those even rarer people who is as competent as he is smart, deeply compassionate, and a brilliant orator. Watching Obama last night, I was struck by how carefully he listened to her when she was talking. He made a real effort to hear her and understand where she was coming from, even though he has been doing exactly that - trying to understand where she is coming from - for months.

Hillary inspires by virtue of her status as the first woman to have a serious chance of being President. But watching last night, I finally understood why she has some devoted fans - she clearly communicates the sense, at least to some people, that she can, by virtue of sheer competence, take care of them. That is a fine quality for a politician to have. But I don't think enough people feel that. And lots of people feel the opposite.

There were a couple of shots of Chelsea watching her Mom on stage, and the pride that Chelsea felt in her mother was inspiring.

No comments: