Friday, January 8, 2010

Quote of the Day

"I used to hide the fact that I did not know the difference between net and gross profits. Thankfully, someone explained it."

This doesn't sound like a great quote. I'm sure there are many people who don't know the difference between net and gross. What's odd is who said it: Sir Richard Branson. Yes, that Sir Richard Branson, of the Virgin empire. He said it in response to the question "Have you ever lied at work?" in a questionnaire in the Financial Times. What's ironic here is that he apparently lied at work, but now he's being honest about it. In a worldwide forum, no less. Props to him for being honest about something that any first-year MBA student would be embarrassed to admit.

My second-favorite quote from this interview is "The bottom line," when he is asked "What is your most hated business expression?" The next time someone tells me that profit drives business, I am going to share this with them.

No comments: